President Donald Trump is expected to send Congress a high-level budget proposal for Fiscal Year 2018 .An overview of early drafts by the Washington Post shows that the Trump administration is considering slashing HUD's already extremely tight budget by as much as 14% from FY16 funded levels.
National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC) and other leaders of the Campaign for Housing and Community Development Funding (CHCDF) invite you to learn more about Mr. Trump's proposal and how you can help fight back against these budget cuts.
Deep budget cuts would make it harder for the most vulnerable people in our communities—low income seniors, people with disabilities, families with children, veterans, and those who were formerly homeless—to keep a roof over their heads.
During the webinar, we will discuss ways to effectively engage lawmakers, and we will provide advocacy tools including talking points, sample op-eds, statewide data, and best practices for setting up in-district meetings and site visits.
- Diane Yentel, National Low Income Housing Coalition
- Nan Roman, National Alliance to End Homelessness
- Barbara Sard, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Trey Reffett, Local Initiatives Support Corporation
- Elayne Weiss, National Low Income Housing Coalition
Take action now:
- Organizations and local governments can sign onto a national letter calling on Congress and the Trump administration to work together to lift the caps on federal spending for FY18, with parity for defense and non-defense programs, and ensure housing and community development programs receive the highest allocation of funds possible.
- Individuals can email Members of Congress and urge them to protect critical resources for affordable housing. Email Congress!
- Everyone can share our new A Place to Call Home report and more than 100 success storieswith their Members of Congress. A Place to Call Home brings together the latest research on how affordable housing boosts economic mobility, reduces poverty and homelessness, improves health outcomes, and strengthens the economy.
- Register today for the webinar.