Disability News Service, Resources, Diversity, Americans with Disabilities Act; Local and National.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Teri & Kellen Ehrenhardt: "Prove them wrong" : video : LIfeMyWay ; Community, Advocacy & Disability Life in Illinois

Teri Ehrenhardt: "Prove them wrong"

Uploaded by lifemywayil on May 8, 2009
(refresh if no video)

Kellen Ehrenhardt "I pass the ball"

Uploaded by lifemywayil on May 15, 2009

My story:
I am the mother of two children, Hanna who is in college and Kellen, a recent high school graduate! Kellen is the most enthusiastic, loving and determined person I know. He also happens to have Down Syndrome. When Kellen was young, I volunteered at his school to help his education. It paid off to get involved. The principal shared our same vision for an inclusive educational experience. From class plays to spelling bees and sports, Kellen has enjoyed a wonderful life of inclusion. I hope that will continue. Kellen is more socially active than anyone in our family! He goes to church, was captain of the cross country team senior year and is known around the community as a person who “makes your day brighter.” Like any young man, Kellen has dreams. He has already started some of those dreams - he currently attends college - and he hopes to get a job and maybe start a band. He makes me proud!

Why I advocate:
We want to show what a person with a developmental disability is capable of doing. As a parent, you have to tune out naysayers, even your own family members, who tell you “not to get your hopes up.” What drives me is desire to prove wrong those with the preconceived notion that self-worth is based on intellectual abilities.

LifeMyWay means:
This is about Kellen being able to have experiences and opportunities to enjoy life. I won’t accept the status quo. I will make these opportunities for life accessible for Kellen, who deserves the same respect as any other person. I’ve learned you have to fight for the same opportunities for your child that others may take for granted. Others who have had positive experiences have taught me how to make the best of a system that is not ideal. Being informed on the issues definitely opens doors.

# For LifeMyWay click headline or go to: http://www.lifemyway.org/

No comments: