Disability News Service, Resources, Diversity, Americans with Disabilities Act; Local and National.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

AARP Illinois & Persons with Disabilities - still a lack of Disability Awareness | July 2012

Background

Chicago - CBA, AgeOptions and AARP are presenting on July 18 entitled "Learn To Be a Powerful Advocate: Bringing the Aging Agenda to Legislators and Policy Makers".

The program will be held at the CBA Building, 321 S. Plymouth Court
from 10:00 am-3:30 pm on July 18. This one day advocacy training will
include a discussion of issues and training on advocacy techniques.
Learn what you need to do to make sure Policy Makers hear and listen
to advocates of the senior programs, services, benefits and supports
that are vital to older persons. Legislators, representatives from
the Executive Office, and advocates are being invited to help the
metropolitan senior community to refine and expand advocacy skills in
an era where advocacy is more important than ever.
###

Below is a summary of an attendee, Ability Chicago member Marcia T.

The following is a summary of an experience I had on July 18th
while attending an advocacy training. I am forwarding the
announcement so you will have the event correctly.

When I registered for this training, I explained my disability and the
kind of reasonable accommodation I would require to participate fully
in this event. I had a most pleasing and successful experience both
prior to and during this event. The experience I am about to relay
happened during the final speaker’s portion, and in no way reflect on
other portions of the event.

The final presenter, Jennifer, from AARP Illinois spoke on the topic
of “social media” and CIBER communication and successful advocacy.
Her first statement was, “Those of you sitting in the back, might want
to move forward so you can see the screen, and those of you sitting in
the front that still can’t see the screen, I can’t teach you.” This
was followed by silence. I chose to speak up and stated, “I find your
statement insulting. In other words, if I can’t see your screen, I
can’t learn what you have to teach.” There was again silence. (Since
I can’t see well enough to recognize a facial expression, I have no
idea what her visual response was) The speaker then said, “This is a
visual presentation “Again, there was silence. The speaker then said,
“Well perhaps I misspoke.” She then gave a credible presentation on
both Face book, tweeting, using walls for stories, and instagrams.
During the question session one of the participants asked if AARP
Illinois provided training for older adults to become more proficient
at using this social media. Her response was that they did, and they
had grants to do that. Another participant asked how seniors who were
learning about the use of Social Media, but were also loosing useful
vision, would access this media? The speaker’s response was, “I have
no idea.” And immediately moved on to the next question.

While I didn't record this exchange myself, we were told that it was
being recorded for use as a link where the material could be accessed.
I was appalled by this presenter, and found her comments inexcusable.
If this is the attitude of AARP of Illinois to the senior community
that also is disabled, their credibility is nil. I hope that the
people who have the ability, after researching this event, will
correct this attitude and a change in their perception by the disabled
community can occur.

Sincerely,
Marcia T

No comments: