The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Amendments Act of 2008 (ADA Amendments Act) made a number of significant changes to the meaning and interpretation of the ADA definition of "disability" to ensure that definition would be broadly construed and applied without extensive analysis. On July 15, 2016, Attorney General Loretta Lynch signed a Final Rule incorporating the requirements of the ADA Amendments Act into the ADA title II and title III regulations. The Final Rule was published in the Federal Register on August 11, 2016, and takes effect 60 days from publication, on October 11, 2016.
- Press Release
- The Final Rule is also available in the Federal Register's online publication (HTML | PDF)
- Final Rule Questions & Answers
- Final Regulatory Analysis and Final Regulatory Flexibility Analysis
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to Implement ADA Amendments Act of 2008 | PDF
- Initial Regulatory Analysis and Initial Regulatory Flexibility Analysis for the ADA Amendments Act Notice of Proposed Rulemaking | PDF