Disability News Service, Resources, Diversity, Americans with Disabilities Act; Local and National.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

JVS Chicago: Bob Parkinson’s True Empathy for Workers with Disabilities


72Parkinson



Jewish Vocational Service (JVS)


As a Program/Administrative Manager for JVS Chicago, Bob Parkinson has wide-ranging responsibilities, many of which involve finding jobs for people with disabilities.
October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM), a designation that resonates with Parkinson and JVS Chicago.  The agency has programs for training deaf and hard of hearing job seekers and skills training programs for adults and youth with disabilities and other challenges.  JVS Chicago is committed to placing workers with disabilities into appropriate positions through its extensive employment services.
The federal law defines “disability” as “a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity,” and Parkinson pointed out that disability isn’t a matter of appearances.
“A man in a wheelchair who was looking for work was sent to me to process as a job seeker with a disability,” Parkinson said, “but he was a CPA, and his condition had no effect on his ability to do the job.  In terms of the workplace, he has no disability.”  With Parkinson’s help, the man soon found work.
After more than two decades helping people with disabilities, it’s clear that Parkinson is an expert in the field.  What may not be as clear is how personally he is invested in finding work for people with disabilities.   At a young age, Bob Parkinson suddenly had become disabled.
“Late one night when I was six years old, I woke with a terrible, fiery pain in my right hip,” said Parkinson.  “It was Legg Perthes, a disease causing degeneration of the ball of the hip.  I had to wear leg and body braces for many months and use crutches;  it was one of the most challenging times in my life.  I overcame huge barriers and learned valuable life lessons at an early age, and I later dedicated myself to helping others.”
Parkinson, a music major in college, developed a piano program for children with profound developmental disabilities.  He ran special recreation programs;  job coached youth and adults with developmental disabilities;  managed a successful community employment program, and earned a Master’s Degree that combined an MBA with Nonprofit Administration.  At JVS Chicago he has run the gamut of employment services for people with disabilities – never forgetting the physical struggle he had to endure as a child.
“My professional goal,” said Parkinson, “is to continually strengthen my position of advocacy for those who need help and to develop and ensure the success of needed, meaningful and quality programs to aid those in need to reach their goals.”
One of his key skills is his ability to negotiate the complex government regulations for assistance to people with disabilities.
“My years of experience establishing professional and collaborative relationships, working and negotiating with the Illinois Department of Human Services, Department of Rehabilitation Services, Social Security Administration, Unemployment Security, school districts, IETC, IDES, WIA and MOWD have given me a clear, realistic, pro-active understanding of how organizations function, how to coordinate services, and how to prepare, manage and execute contracts,” he said.
His commitment extends beyond the workplace.  Away from JVS Chicago, Parkinson has participated in community leadership, advocacy for persons in need, charity work and support for veterans.
“My childhood laid the foundation on which my life’s work would be built,” said Parkinson.  “Looking back now, I don’t see a child with a disability:  I see an instrument.  I believe I was being taught things of great value.
“Today, as an adult,” said Parkinson, “it is my hope that by implementing my leadership compassionately, expressing my ideas creatively, following my beliefs diligently, and living my values consistently, I will have a significant impact on the values of an organization, on the people with whom I have the pleasure to work, and on those whom I love.”
For more information on NDEAM, visit here.  For more information about JVS Chicago’s work for people with disabilities, please visit jvschicago.org

No comments: