Disability News Service, Resources, Diversity, Americans with Disabilities Act; Local and National.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Remarkable Woman: Karen Meyer - Covering disability issues for WLS-TV Chicago |

{photo: "Disability is something you are given, so you have to figure out how to make the best of it," says journalist Karen Meyer. (Michael Tercha, Chicago Tribune / December 15, 2011}

By Courtney Crowder, Chicago Tribune Newspaper
December 30, 2011

Standing outside WLS-TV's fishbowl-like studio on State Street, I watch Karen Meyer laugh with the midday news anchors. When the producer starts counting down, marking the time until the news comes back from commercial, Meyer quickly composes herself and waits with laserlike focus for her cue. As she introduces her segment, she speaks with an impediment and begins to sign.

It's the first time I realize that Meyer, an award-winning broadcast reporter, is profoundly deaf.

Meyer, 57, is one of those people who have energy to spare, which is a good thing considering she has multiple jobs. In addition to reporting two segments a week for Chicago's ABC News affiliate, Meyers teaches at DePaul University, where she's also the coordinator of the Office of Students with Disabilities, and owns a consulting firm that specializes in disability issues.

Meyer, who is married and has two dogs, is the only deaf broadcast reporter in any large TV market, and is one of the only reporters dedicated to covering disability issues.

In November, Meyer, who was raised in Wilmette and lives in Lincoln Park, was awarded with a Chicago/Midwest Emmy for Outstanding Achievement for News Specialty Assignment Report/Series, an honor that joins more than a dozen other distinctions she has earned.

Q: What exactly caused you to be deaf?

A: We are not sure what the problem is, but both my brother and I have been totally deaf since birth.

Q: When did you start reporting on disabilities at ABC?

A: I have been at ABC for 21 years. I say I am like a cat with nine lives because I've had many careers. This is a career I had no intention of getting into, but the station's former general manager convinced me. I met him while I was working for United Cerebral Palsy Association doing Americans with Disabilities Act consulting work and followed up with a letter offering to train the staff in understanding the disability community.

He accepted, and I came to speak at one of his breakfast meetings. I … gave a whole presentation on how the ADA was changing workplace rules and how there needed to be more coverage because it was going to be a hot topic.

Two months later the former news director and former general manager said we like your idea, here's a job. My first reaction was, "Wait a minute, I am not a journalist, I have a speech impediment and if I put the ear piece in I won't be able to hear anything." They said as long as you know the stories, we will figure everything else out, so I said OK.

Q: Do you face any hardships when reporting a story?

A: I do two separate stories a week; one airs Thursday at 11:30 a.m., and the other airs during the Sunday morning news. I do everything I can on my own; I come up with the ideas, write all my own stuff. The only thing I can't do is screen my tapes, but I have an intern to help with that.

Q: How long have you been teaching at DePaul?

A: Last quarter I taught my 26th class at the university. I have been teaching disability culture and exploring Chicago to first-year students for the past 16 years. I created those courses. I am also the coordinator for the Office of Students with Disabilities, where I help to provide accommodations to all students who need them.

Q: One of your more interesting accolades is that you were appointed by former President Clinton in 1994 to be the vice chairperson of the President's Committee on Employment for People with Disabilities. What was that like?

A: It was an amazing experience. I got to meet the big movers and shakers in Washington. We meet a couple times a year and work on employment issues in the disability community. How I found out I was nominated is actually a funny story; I was sitting at home, and my friend was over, and the phone rang, so I told him he had to answer it. He answers it and hangs up and says it was "the lighthouse." We both thought that was weird, then the same number called back, and he picked up again. His face turned bright red, and he said, "Karen, it's the White House. You've been recommended for a presidential appointment."

Q: Do you think it is easier for children with disabilities now than when you were growing up?

A: Yes — first of all they have access to information; email, texting, video chatting and computers. Also, the public has a greater awareness of people with disabilities. Plus we have laws such as ADA and (Section) 504. More importantly, young kids and teens are opting for the cochlear implant, which gives them access to hearing sounds, although they will still be deaf.

Q: What is the best lesson you learned from your mother or father?

A: When I was growing up in the '50s and '60s there were almost no resources for deaf people; there was no caption TV, no telecommunications, no technology like we have today. My parents always said they were not going to let me be sorry for myself because of my deafness, so I never took that attitude and just did want I had to do.

Q: What is your greatest possession?

A: My marathon medal. My husband made me a plaque with my medal, my picture, my bib and everything … No matter where I go, I bring my medal with me. It shows that I could do whatever I put my mind to.

Q: What is your greatest attribute?

A: My passion. I am very passionate about what I do, especially my work with people with disabilities. I want to make the world a better place to live and increase awareness about disabilities.

I always say to my friends, disability is a club, anyone can join at any time. What I mean is a disability is something you are given, so you have to figure out how to make the best of it.

Q: Who is your hero?

A: I really admire Diane Sawyer. She's bright and funny and tells an amazing story. I like women who are passionate about what they do.

Q: Do you ever get recognized?

A: All the time; on the train, walking down the street, in the airport, in other cities. One time I was in Italy, we were staying in a hotel and this couple comes over and says, "Your voice sounds really familiar — are you on TV in America?" I am very flattered. I am really glad people are watching and seeing the work we do.

Q: What is your secret to success?

A: I really believe that you can do anything you want to do, but you have to make it happen.

# To learn more about Karen Meyer or view her segments, visit abclocal.go.com/wls.

# http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/tribu/ct-tribu-remarkable-meyer-20111230,0,345132,full.story

No comments: