Disability News Service, Resources, Diversity, Americans with Disabilities Act; Local and National.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

People with Disabilities stuck in the middle - Letters to The Editor!

TheTimesTribune.com, Corbin, KY The Times-Tribune :
Letters to The Editor!  July 19 2011

CORBIN — It is frightening to watch the political game in Washington and my resident state of Minnesota. As an individual living on Social Security disability benefits, a program to which I contributed most of my adult life until 2002, my little family is at financial risk beginning in August. I’m working hard to pay a large vet bill for two of my animal companions with special needs, mostly my service dog whose training I’ve paid out of my meager income earned from crafts. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have a service dog for the waiting list is long and priorities aren’t given to those with my type of disability.

I thought I hit the jackpot last winter when I was able to order my first new pairs of pants (two) in many years to replace the threadbare ones I could no longer wear. I nearly cried today when I read about one of our friends on Facebook receiving an award for helping families grow their own garden. I can’t imagine having regular fruits and vegetables for I can’t afford them nor do I have a place to grow them. On the other hand, I’m able to feed my animal companions, two of whom I adopted before becoming disabled, and feed myself, a bonus relative to those without food or money to purchase food.

The healthcare and vocational service programs which should have helped me become employed again not only failed me — I had four different vocational workers in less than a year —but hurt me emotionally and physically due to unsupervised or poorly supervised workers and a lack of ethical oversights for programs our tax dollars support. Now I am stuck, hoping only to live long enough to see Lucy, Jazz and Misty Woo through their lifetimes for I cannot imagine living in this society as it is now.

Something is very wrong in our world when an individual such as I is stuck in the gaping hole between having too much and not enough income to qualify for much needed help. I now pay health care premiums to replace a state program, which I no longer can obtain. Dental coverage is a far off dream. The elderly and those with disabilities get by as best we can and, if we’re lucky, friends or family help. The latter ignore many of us with disabilities, mine included, for we’re considered failures or burdens. Some of us find ways to contribute and give thanks to those who help us along the way. Some of us witness others abusing the system and become frustrated for it takes away from those who genuinely need help and supports the stereotypes others have about people who receive benefits.

The problems are complex, developed over time and need gradual well-thought planned solutions in place of the political games in Washington, state and local governments. If nothing else comes of this letter, which contains personal information I find very embarrassing to share, it will give someone insight, understanding or an idea to better this tragic situation, which in the end will hurt everyone, including the rich who are also impacted by economic problems such as those at threat of developing from this political standoff. I don’t care to grow old and unable to care for myself in this society for I’ve lost everything but my dignity. This, I won’t allow anyone to take from me. Thank you for reading this and giving thought to the problems in our midst.

Danielle A. Engle,
1974 graduate of Whitley County High School

No comments: