Disability News Service, Resources, Diversity, Americans with Disabilities Act; Local and National.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Legally Visually Impaired runner wins women's marathon in Ohio: May 3 2011

CINCINNATI (AP) — A South Carolina stay-at-home mom who's legally blind won the women's race at the 13th annual Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati on Sunday.

Amy McDonaugh from Irmo, S.C., crossed the finish line in 2 hours, 58 minutes, 14 seconds to win her first marathon.

The 34-year-old McDonaugh ran the 26.2-mile route without a guide. Though she has no peripheral vision, is blind in one eye and has poor vision in the other, she can see straight ahead.

"I have three children and because of I'm legally blind I'm a stay-at-home mom," McDonaugh said. "After the third child, I needed to get out of the house.

"My husband would say 'See you in 20 minutes' and that turned into an hour. I love it because it's something I can do. I could never play sports or anything like that. This is the one sport I could do."

Kieran O'Connor also won his first marathon by besting the men's field with a time of 2:28:02. The New York University graduate student finished 3:12 ahead of David Riddle of Cincinnati. Rob Morwood of Otterbein, Ohio, was third for the second straight year, in 2:35:54.

Among the women, Kerry Lee of Cincinnati placed second in 3:02:01 and Carrie Kutzli of Cedar Springs, Mich., was third in 3:03:44.

No comments: